> What is LASIK?
It is a highly advanced, painless procedure combining conventional ocular surgery with state of the art excimer laser surgery technology, allowing for the correction of myopia (short-sightedness), hypermetropia (far-sightedness), astigmatism, and presbyopia (reading problems). The entire LASIK procedure takes approximately 30-40 minutes.
> How LASIK works?
The LASIK procedure as follow:
(1) Tiny pulses of laser light about quadrillion of a second each pass harmlessly
through the outer portion of the cornea and form a uniform laser microscopic
bubbles. This is the creation of a flap without blade.
(2) The corneal flap is gently folded to the side.
(3) The inner tissue of the corneal is re-shaped to correct refractive errors.
(4) After the laser treatment is completed, the flap is carefully repositioned and
adheres to the underlying tissue without sutures.
How to prepare for your surgery?
• Soft contact lens should be stopped at least 1 week in advance
• Hard contact lens should be stopped at least 2 weeks in advance
• Bring historical references about yours eyes
• Arrange about 2-3 hours for surgery
• Female patients should stop using hormone medicines for 2 months before surgery
Preparation for the day of surgery
• Take your normal meal
• Wear warm clothes (20-25°c in operating theatre)
• Do not use any kind of perfume, medical oil, hair gel, or any items with strong smell, shampoo and
• No make-up and mascara
• Arrange for transport as you would not be able to drive yourself after the procedure
• This is a pain free procedure
• Your cooperation is very important for a successful surgery
• Listen carefully and follow the instructions of surgeon and nurses
• Relax, open your eyes, focus on the fixation light, and do not move your eyes
• You can return home right after surgery. Your eyes must be kept closed as long as possible on the first day
• Do not rub your eyes
• Avoid contact with water during the first week and swimming for the first three weeks
• Eye makeup is not to be used for the first four weeks
• A post-operative follow up will be scheduled at intervals of: one day, one week, one month, three months
Figure: Standard LASIK
Figure: ZEISS Precise Vision
The ideal candidate is someone who:
• Above 18 years of age
• Has a stable vision for the last 6 months
• Not pregnant
• Free of eye diseases
• Good general health
• An extensive eye examination will be performed by one of our qualified Clinical ophthalmic
consultants. The results of this examination will determine whether you meet the requirements for
LASIK or another form of refractive surgery
23-27 Jalan Kamaruddin Isa
(Jalan Fair Park)
31400 Ipoh Perak
27 Jalan Medan Taiping 5
Taman Medan Taiping
34000 Taiping Perak
Mon., Tue. & Fri. : 2.00 pm - 5.00 pm
Wed. & Thurs : 9.00 am - 1.00 pm
Sat. : 9.00 am - 12.00 pm
Monday : 8.30 am - 1.00 pm
Wednesday : 6.30 pm - 9.30 pm
Saturday : 2.30 pm - 6.00 pm
© 2014 All Right Reserved, Chew Eye Specialist & Surgery Sdn. Bhd.